How Not to Buy a First Home
Certain appealing features persist over the long term, including having three bedrooms and two full baths. Others may or may not be passing trends, such as today's preference for a dining area spilling out of the kitchen.
Homebuyers, HSH says, tend to like newer homes, and properties with regular shapes -- square or fat rectangles, not long and skinny ones, triangles or chevrons. Having a big lot won't compensate for a problem such as having a home jammed along one edge, too near the neighbors.
Because a home is a very big expense buyers often tend to the conservative. Much as they like hip ideas such as straw insulation, geodesic-dome construction or shingles made from crushed beer cans, they'll be wary of spending too much on a home that may not appeal to many buyers later. You should be, too.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV