VANCOUVER, May 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ - GOLDCORP INC. (TSX: G, NYSE: GG) — announced that Barrick Gold Corporation ("Barrick") today reported that Pueblo Viejo Dominicana Corporation ("PVDC") has reached an agreement in principle with the Government of the Dominican Republic concerning amendments to the Pueblo Viejo Special Lease Agreement (SLA). The Pueblo Viejo mine is operated by PVDC, which is jointly owned by Goldcorp (40%) and Barrick (60%).
The agreement in principle comes after eight months of constructive discussions between PVDC and the Government of the Dominican Republic. The agreement in principle preserves the economic value of the Pueblo Viejo mine, while also addressing the fiscal objectives of the country, in a way that will provide stability for both parties moving forward.
PVDC is one of the largest foreign investors in the Dominican Republic and it is in the company's long-term interest to support the economic stability and development of the country, where Pueblo Viejo will be operating for the next three decades.
If the proposed amendments are implemented and entered into force, revenues to the Government of the Dominican Republic will be increased and brought forward via a number of proposed changes. To achieve this objective, amendments to the SLA, which will be mutually agreed upon by the parties, could include items such as the following:
- Elimination of a 10% return embedded in the initial capital investment for the purposes of the NPI;
- An extension to the period over which PVDC will recover its capital investment;
- A delay of application of NPI deductions; and
- A reduction in depreciation rates
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV