The Company has successfully continued its re-engining and re-powering programs that aim to change the engines on a substantial portion of its line pushboats from diesel to heavy fuel consuming ones. Having finalized the re-engining of two pushboats in the second and third quarters of 2012, six heavy fuel-consuming pushboats are now in operation and the next re-engined pushboat is expected to commence operation within the fourth quarter of 2013. This program has demonstrated its potential to lead to substantial savings in fuel expense and to an increase in tow size and navigation speed, which we believe will enhance our EBITDA margins in the future.
In the Offshore Supply Business, with the introduction of our UP Jade into a long-term charter with Petrobras in August 2012, we began to operate a fleet of nine PSVs which has now grown to ten with the delivery of our UP Amber on January 30, 2013. The adjusted EBITDA generated by the Offshore Supply Business segment during the first quarter of 2013 was $9.5 million, or 47% higher than the $6.4 million generated in the same period of 2012. For a reconciliation of segment adjusted EBITDA to operating profit (loss), please see the tables at the end of this release.
Total revenues from the Offshore Supply Business for the first quarter of 2013 increased by $4.6 million compared with the same period of 2012. This represents a 27% increase which was primarily attributable to the full quarter operation of our UP Jade in Brazil.In Brazil, operating costs, particularly manning costs, have been increasing as a result of the revaluation of the local currency and inflationary pressure on salaries and expenses both of which affected our earnings during parts of 2012. Nevertheless, during the first quarter of 2013 the Brazilian real experienced a slight devaluation which eased the upward trend of our costs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV