Starting MSRP: $30,900
The updated 2013 Ford (F) Flex makes my list of mom-friendly vehicles primarily because of one standout feature: an optional built-in refrigerator.
Available on the top-of-the-line Ford Flex Limited (base price: $39,200), the refrigerator can hold up to seven 12-ounce cans or four half-liter bottles of drinks. It's the perfect thing to quiet down antsy kids on hot days.Unfortunately, the fridge lists for $694 -- and you not only have to buy a Limited to get it, but must buy $2,800 of other options as part of a package deal. If that's too rich for your budget, a basic Flex still makes for a good mom-mobile because the seven-passenger wagon combines a roomy interior with a one-of-a-kind exterior design. The Flex features a funky, super-boxy exterior look that you'll either love at first sight or hate and move on. Assuming the former holds true rather than the latter, you'll also appreciate the Flex's standard front-wheel drive, automatic transmission and a 285-horsepower V-6 engine that gets a decent 18 mpg/city and 25 mpg/highway. As for safety, the IIHS gives the Flex its top crash-test rating (although NHTSA hasn't reviewed the model). The Ford also offers lots of standard safety features, as well as good protective options such as a blind-spot warning system and inflatable second-row seat belts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV