Break Out of Your Job Search Rut
Most people don't worry about how get the word out about themselves until it's time to look for a job. If you're like most job seekers, you have a pretty limited in-person network. Luckily, social media can change that in a jiffy! When you identify people online who share your professional interests, you can easily connect with them, pass along information they share to your community, and highlight what you know about your field or industry. You may be surprised by how generous your new, online contacts may be. Keep in mind: you only need a few great contacts to help you land a job, so don't worry about getting thousands of followers or friends.
4. Start a business. If you've been out of work for a while, it may be time to start thinking about starting a business. One reason to hang your own shingle is because statistics show that more and more companies are turning to temporary, or contract workers, for projects instead of hiring full-time staff. You want to set yourself up to succeed in this environment.
Even if you don't think running your own business is a goal for the long term, looking for project and freelance work can help you keep your finger on the pulse of your industry. When you take on short-term jobs, you'll demonstrate how engaged you are in your industry and earning money: it's a win-win.
More From AOL Jobs
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV