Break Out of Your Job Search Rut
If you've been sending out hundreds of resumesand haven't heard backfrom one employer, stop now and commit to making several changes in your job search strategy. Looking for a job is frustrating; you're totally fed up with looking for a job and don't think there's another thing you can do to help get back to work. Even though you may be discouraged, it's likely there are some networking strategies you haven't tried yet. Once you get your job search networking in gear, it's time to move ahead with additional key strategies to get to work.
The following are additional tips to help you get out of a job search rut and back to work:
1. Check your documents. Update your resume.There's nothing worse than realizing (too late) that your resume looks like it's from the 1980s and that you've been applying for positions without the requisite keywords needed to get the job. Review job descriptions and ask yourself, "Does my resume make a clear connection between what the employer wants and what I offer?" Be sure it's really obvious; do not expect anyone to give you the benefit of the doubt or to read between the lines. When you do apply online for jobs, a computer system will scan and evaluate your materials, so you need to be very clear and specific about your skills.2. Stop looking for a job and start looking for a company. Stop searching the web for random jobs; you're wasting your time. Instead, identify a list of 10 or 15 companies and comb your network to make connections in those organizations. Read everything you can about your targeted companies. "Follow" them on social media, including LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter. Watch videos that they share on YouTube.
The more you know about the organizations, and the more networking you do to gain access to unposted opportunities, the more likely you are to land an interview. 3. Use social media. Take advantage of online tools, such as LinkedIn, Twitter and Google+ to connect with professionals in your industry. Think of these social media tools as opportunities to demonstrate your expertise so that more people will have the opportunity to know, like and trust you.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts