ADVISORY, May 8, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- U.S. stocks have continued to rally after the release of April non-farm payrolls showed a better-than-expected increase of 165,000 jobs. The increase, coupled with higher revisions for February and March and a tick down in the unemployment rate to 7.5%, helped sentiment that the economy could continue to improve. As a result, the market has cheered the news, hitting new intra-day highs. The PHLX HOUSING SECTOR INDEX (HGX) rose 4.4% over the past 5 days and is up 18.2% year-to-date.
"The jobs number, coupled with increases in housing values, continues to add to market confidence that economic conditions are improving. These factors added to the Fed's free money policy are combining to power the market to all-time highs," said Dave Gedeon, Managing Director, NASDAQ OMX Global Indexes. "Given these highs, the baton seems to be getting passed from defensive names like utilities to consumer discretionary, industrial and energy names. Oil and copper also moved higher as the possibility of growth gets priced in, but in general commodities were mixed to weaker."
|TOP WEEKLY INDEX MOVERS (+ / - )|
|TOP 5 EQUITY INDEXES:||5/7/2013|
|PHLX HOUSING SECTOR INDEX (HGX)||+4.4%|
|PHLX OIL SERVICE SECTOR INDEX (OSX)||+3.4%|
|NASDAQ EM EUROPE INDEX (NQEMEU)||+3.0%|
|NASDAQ INTERNET INDEX (QNET)||+2.9%|
|PHLX DEFENSE SECTOR INDEX (DFX)||+2.7%|
|TOP 5 COMMODITY INDEXES:||5/7/2013|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY NATURAL GAS INDEX ER (NQCINGER)||-9.7%|
|PHLX GOLD/SILVER SECTOR INDEX (XAU)||-4.4%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY CRUDE OIL INDEX ER (NQCICLER)||+2.3%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY CORN INDEX ER (NQCICER)||-2.1%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY INDUSTRIAL METALS INDEX ER (NQCIIMER)||+1.9%|
Other Notable Index Moves This Week
- Investors will be watching Initial Jobless Claims and Continuing Claims data Thursday for a confirmation of the optimism generated by the Payrolls data. Watch the NASDAQ-100 Index® (NDX), post announcement for a broad view of larger, non-financial names.
- March Consumer Credit rose less than expected yesterday. This number is notably volatile. Still, a future confirmation of slower credit card borrowing could be an indicator of constraints due to payroll tax increases and low income growth. The NASDAQ US Large Cap Retail Index (NQUSL5300) might be an indicator of a broad market move.
- Merchant Wholesale Inventories will be out Friday. Watch the NASDAQ Commodity Industrial Metals ER Index (NQCIIMER) for any early indications of inventory re-stocking.
CONTACT: MEDIA CONTACTS: Nick Lawler Intermarket Communications (212) 754-5613 email@example.com Chauntez Wilson Intermarket Communications (212) 754-5415 firstname.lastname@example.org Wayne Lee NASDAQ OMX (301) 978-4875 Wayne.email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV