CHPA Applauds Governor Mike Pence And The Passage Of SB 496
WASHINGTON, May 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Consumer Healthcare Products Association (CHPA) released the following statement a day after Governor Mike Pence signed into law Senate Bill 496 -- legislation authored by Senator Carlin Yoder (R-12) -- that takes a number of steps to tighten the state's existing meth laws.
"We commend Senator Yoder, Governor Pence, and the entire General Assembly for passing one of the strongest anti-meth bills in the nation," said Carlos Gutierrez, senior director of state government affairs for CHPA. "While we recognize that this annual limit may impact a small minority of responsible consumers who suffer from severe allergies, it makes it more difficult for meth cooks to skirt the law while preserving access to these medicines for the large majority of Hoosier families."
Specifically, the legislation:
- Makes it a felony for an individual to engage in "smurfing" -- the criminal process of buying PSE-based products and selling them to a meth cook or dealer;
- Requires all sales of pseudoephedrine -- including convenience-size packages -- to be registered via the NPLEx system;
- Prevents prior methamphetamine offenders from being able to purchase PSE-containing medicines for seven years; and
- Implements a 29% reduction in the amount a person can buy to 61.2 grams per year.
"There is no question that Indiana, like many other parts of the country, continues to face an uphill battle against meth production and abuse," Gutierrez continued. "But I am confident that with strengthened legislation like Sen. Yoder's bill we will make real progress against meth criminals."CHPA is the 132-year-old-trade association representing U.S. manufacturers and distributors of over-the-counter medicines and dietary supplements. chpa-info.org SOURCE Consumer Healthcare Products Association
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV