BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Ah, the "smart money."
That moniker, which refers to the professional investors who run hedge funds, mutual funds and retirement plans, is both a compliment and a jab at the same time. That's because, despite what the name implies, smart money investors often aren't all that smart at all. But they're always important. With around $15 trillion in stocks under management at the biggest firms, the smart money's move matter whether they're right or wrong.
So today, we'll take a look at the stocks that the smart money hates.Institutional investors have generally been late to the game on this stock rally. They were late to grab equity exposure at the start of 2013, and many fund managers are still skeptical of the broad market's ability to keep moving higher. That relatively tepid smart money sentiment surrounding stocks makes our list of names they can't sell fast enough even more interesting. >>5 Rocket Stocks for Dow 15,000 Luckily for us, we can get a glimpse at exactly which stocks top hedge funds' hate lists by looking at 13F statements. Institutional investors with more than $100 million in assets are required to file a 13F, a form that breaks down their stock positions for public consumption. From hedge funds to mutual funds to insurance companies, any professional investors who manage more than that $100 million watermark are required to file a 13F. So far, 1,472 funds filed the form for last quarter, and by comparing one quarter's filing to another, we can see how any single fund manager is moving their portfolio around. Without further ado, here's a look at five stocks fund managers hate. >>5 Divident Stocks Ready to Give You a Raise
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV