ROANOKE, Va., May 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Norfolk Southern's (NYSE: NSC) office building at 110 Franklin Road SE in Roanoke has earned the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA's) ENERGY STAR certification, which signifies that the building performs in the top 25 percent of similar facilities nationwide for energy efficiency and meets strict energy efficiency performance levels set by the EPA.
"Norfolk Southern is pleased to accept EPA's ENERGY STAR certification in recognition of our energy efficiency efforts," said Andy Paul, manager energy services. "This demonstrates our commitment to environmental stewardship while also lowering our energy costs. ENERGY STAR is a great tool to compare our building performance with our peers. This inspired us to do what we can to achieve the triple bottom line -- planet, people, and profit. We are proud of this accomplishment and excited about similar work across our network."
Commercial buildings that earn EPA's ENERGY STAR certification use an average of 35 percent less energy than typical buildings and release 35 percent less carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. Norfolk Southern improved its energy performance by managing energy strategically across its entire 22-state system and by making cost-effective improvements to its building.
"Improving the energy efficiency of our nation's buildings is critical to protecting our environment," said Jean Lupinacci, Chief of the ENERGY STAR Commercial & Industrial Branch. "From the boiler room to the board room, Norfolk Southern is leading the way by making their buildings more efficient and earning EPA's ENERGY STAR certification."To earn ENERGY STAR, Norfolk Southern:
- Used real-time metering to monitor electricity usage. Monitoring at 15-minute intervals allowed the company to chase after the last watt of wasted electricity.
- Reanalyzed the building automation system to verify set points and startup/shutdown times so the building wasn't running when no one needed it.
- Installed a new independent HVAC system for off-hour building use.
- Upgraded exterior lights to LEDs.
- Replaced stairwell lights with on-demand LEDs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV