Revenue rose 18.1% to $2.02 billion from $1.71 billion the same period a year ago. The company had forecast revenue of at least $2 billion.
The firm also maintained its outlook of 17% revenue growth for this year. The company expects annual revenue to reach at least $8.6 billion.
Looking ahead to the next quarter, Cognizant expects revenues of at least $2.13 billion. Analysts had been expecting revenue of $2.11 billion, according Reuters.The company also increased its share repurchase program by $500 million to $1.5 billion. "Our performance during the first quarter was strong, and we are encouraged by the healthy demand for our broad range of services," CEO Francisco D'Souza said in a statement.
Internet provider AOL (AOL) reported first-quarter revenue that grew 2% to $538 million on an increase in advertising revenue. The company said total ad revenue grew to $359 million from $330 million, and that AOL Properties display ads experienced particular strength. Growth in search revenue helped offset a loss in subscribers. AOL said subscription revenue fell 9% from the same period a year ago to $166 million, though the decline slowed. The average monthly churn rate slightly dipped to 1.9% from 2% in the year-ago quarter. "Growth continues at AOL," Chairman and CEO Tim Armstrong said in a statement. "AOL's strategy of being the first scaled media and technology company is clearly represented in our results today, and we will continue to aggressively drive the company toward near-and long-term growth." Earnings at the company rose to $25.9 million from $21.1 million a year ago.
McDonald's (MCD) reported a bigger-than-expected drop in comparable sales in April, weighed down by global economic challenges.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV