MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., May 8, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- VIVUS, Inc. (Nasdaq:VVUS), a biopharmaceutical company commercializing and developing innovative, next-generation therapies to address unmet needs in obesity and sexual health, today provided a business update and reported its financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2013.
"The FDA's approval of the REMS modification allowing distribution of Qsymia through certified retail pharmacy locations was a significant achievement in our ongoing efforts to expand access to Qsymia," stated Leland Wilson, chief executive officer of VIVUS. "We have begun to lay the foundation and our team is working diligently to ensure availability of Qsymia in certified retail pharmacies."
- On April 16, 2013, the FDA approved an amendment to the REMS that allows for distribution of Qsymia ® (phentermine and topiramate extended-release) capsules CIV through certified retail pharmacy locations. We intend to certify pharmacies and announce retail availability in the third quarter of 2013.
- In April 2013, the CHMP adopted a positive opinion recommending the granting of a marketing authorization for avanafil (SPEDRA™) for the treatment of erectile dysfunction in the EU. The CHMP recommendation has been referred to the European Commission and a final decision is expected within approximately two months.
- On March 25, 2013, we entered into a Purchase and Sale Agreement with BioPharma Secured Investments III Holdings Cayman LP ("BioPharma"), providing for the purchase of a debt-like instrument. At the initial closing on April 9, 2013, we received $50 million, less $1.1 million in funding and facility payments. Subject to the terms and conditions of the agreement and at our sole discretion, we may also elect prior to December 31, 2013 to receive an additional $60 million, less $600,000 in a funding payment, at the secondary closing, which is subject to customary closing conditions and which closing shall occur, if at all, no later than January 15, 2014.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts