European Court Of Human Rights Says No Political Motivation Behind Arrest Of Tymoshenko
"I think that this is the way to understand it," Mr Liddell continued, noting that the April 30 th ruling related only to the pre-trial detention. "Mrs Tymoshenko is no longer in pre-trial detention. She is in a different situation, as she has been imprisoned after being convicted by a court. So she is no longer in the situation to which the judgment relates - pre-trial detention."
Ukraine's envoy for ECHR affairs Nazar Kulchytsky has said Ukraine would analyse the April 30 th judgment on pre-trial detention, and could not rule out an appeal.
The Government of Ukraine took note of the ECHR ruling on the pre-trial detention issue last month but also welcomed the ruling by the Court that it had not found Ukrainian authorities responsible for violating a prohibition on inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment. This too had been alleged as part of the appeal to the court by Tymoshenko.
The court has also separately ruled in Ukraine's favour regarding the access to medical care she has been afforded during her imprisonment.A final European Court ruling on the overall criminal case, Tymoshenko's second appeal, was not imminent and might take another year or more, Mr. Liddell explained in his interview with Interfax. The General Prosecutor's Office of Ukraine has stressed that the preventive measures of the pre-trial arrest were made under the country's former Soviet-era Code of Criminal Procedure, which was the law of the land back in 2011. This criminal procedure code has since been replaced by a newly enacted criminal procedure law that is more lenient and was written with the advice of the Venice Commission and other European institutions as part of a broader reform effort to meet European norms and standards. SOURCE Ukraine Monitor
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV