Western Senators Seek To Restore Minerals Payments
Republican Sens. Mike Enzi and John Barrasso, of Wyoming, said Tuesday they're working on the legislation.
Wyoming's congressional delegation is still stinging from separate congressional action late last year that cut more than $700 million that had been promised to the state for mine land restoration.
Daniel Head, a spokesman for Enzi, said the bill to restore the mineral leasing payments will likely be introduced this week.
"The federal government took money that doesn't belong to it and used the sequester as an excuse," Head said. "States are guaranteed a share of the billions of dollars in revenue generated from energy production on federal lands, as they bear most of the costs associated with mineral development. The federal government should be cutting its own budget instead of taking money owed to the states."Wyoming Gov. Matt Mead said recently that he had asked the state's attorney general to review the cuts in mineral revenue payments to see if there was any avenue for a legal challenge, but the attorney general's office concluded there was not. On Tuesday, the Republican governor said Wyoming's congressional delegation has done an excellent job addressing federal mineral royalties. "Our delegation and my office have been working with U.S. and state lawmakers from similarly impacted states," Mead said. "I am encouraged to see support from other states on this important issue."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV