Further benefiting net income in the first quarter of 2013 were net realized and unrealized gains on derivative instruments. Changes in the fair value of our derivative instruments are recognized at the end of each accounting period and recorded in the statement of operations as a component of cost of goods sold. Our immediate recognition of derivative instrument gains and losses can cause net income to be volatile from period to period due to the timing of the change in value of the derivative instruments relative to the sale of biofuel being sold.
Adjusted EBITDA totaled $17.7 million in the first three months of 2013 as compared to $16.6 million in the first three months of 2012.
Capital expenditures were $2.3 million in the first three months of 2013, compared with $2.1 million in the first three months of 2012. FutureFuel was reimbursed for a portion of these expenditures by certain customers as summarized in the following table.
|(Dollars in thousands)|
|Three Months Ended March 31, 2013||Three Months Ended March 31, 2012|
|Cash received as reimbursement of capital expenditures||(1,057)||(157)|
|Net cash paid for capital expenditures||$1,261||$1,956|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV