AUSTIN, Texas, May 7, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Whole Foods Market, Inc. (Nasdaq:WFM) today reported results for the 12-week second quarter ended April 14, 2013. Sales increased 13% to $3.0 billion. Comparable store sales increased 6.9%, and identical store sales, excluding four relocations and one expansion, increased 6.6%. Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization ("EBITDA") increased 18% from the prior year to $305 million or 10.1% of sales, net income increased 21% to $142 million, and diluted earnings per share increased 19% to $0.76.
"We delivered another quarter of strong sales and earnings growth, reporting record results on many levels," said John Mackey, co-founder and co-chief executive officer of Whole Foods Market. "The demand for fresh, healthy foods continues to grow, and we are leading the way as America's healthiest grocery store with close to seven million customers visiting our stores each week. We believe we will continue to gain market share as we accelerate our new store openings, improve our relative value proposition while maintaining our high quality standards, and further differentiate our shopping experience."
The following table shows the Company's sales results for the last five quarters and for the first three weeks of the third quarter through May 5, 2013. Comparable and identical sales growth is adjusted to exclude the impact of the Easter shift in Q2 and Q3 of fiscal year 2012, and sales growth in Q4 is presented on a 12-week to 12-week basis.
|Comparable store sales growth||8.9%||8.9%||8.5%||7.2%||6.9%||9.4%|
|Identical store sales growth||8.5%||8.6%||8.3%||7.1%||6.6%||9.0%|
|*Comparable and identical store sales growth reflects an estimated 200 basis point positive impact from Team Member Appreciation Double Discount Day.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV