Harper Government Increases Support For Apprentices And The Skilled Trades
GATINEAU, QC, May 7, 2013 /CNW/ - The Honourable Diane Finley, Minister of Human Resources and Skills Development, today highlighted key Economic Action Plan 2013 measures that will address Canada's skills shortages and transform the way Canadians receive skills training. She was speaking at the 2013 Canadian Policy Conference hosted by the Building and Construction Trades Department.
"Our Government recognizes that a highly qualified and mobile skilled trades workforce is critical to Canada's productivity and competitiveness," said Minister Finley. "By helping Canadians connect with available jobs and putting a priority on skills and training, we are ensuring continued economic growth, job creation and long-term prosperity."
Economic Action Plan 2013 announced measures to equip Canadians with the skills and training needed to support the skilled trades. These include:
- introducing the new Canada Job Grant;
- working with the provinces and territories to harmonize apprenticeship training and certification requirements;
- supporting the use of apprentices in federally contracted construction and maintenance projects; and
- providing support to groups that are under-represented in the job market, such as people with disabilities, youth, Aboriginal people and newcomers.
These investments complement other Government of Canada initiatives, including apprenticeship grants. In addition, the Government of Canada offers a tax credit to employers to encourage them to hire apprentices, and a tax deduction for apprentices and tradespeople to help cover the cost of new tools. In Budget 2011, the Government of Canada also made occupational, trade and professional examination fees eligible for the Tuition Tax Credit."Through grants, tax credits and support for training programs such as apprenticeships, we are encouraging Canadians to pursue careers in the skilled trades," added Minister Finley.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV