Investors were slightly surprised when Costco, a holding of Cramer's Action Alerts PLUS, delivered such strong numbers this morning, especially after the heavy weakness seen in Target (TGT) and Wal-Mart (WMT) after their quarterly reports.
According to Cramer, the most surprising thing was Costco subscriptions actually increased after the company recently raised membership fees. Most people would expect some sort of drop because of the price hike.
Investors and analysts have started to think Costco is getting overvalued, especially compared to its peers. Cramer doesn't think so -- he thinks they're comparing Costco to the wrong types of companies.Costco, he said, "should trade at a massive premium to these other guys because it's a classic growth stock with a revenue stream that can be modeled." While there is clearly a shortage of Costco stores nationwide, it's because management is very picky about location and does not want to cannibalize its current stores. Cramer concluded Costco is "more like a Starbucks (SBUX) than it is like a Wal-Mart." -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV