Redemptions and repayments during the first quarter included the sale of $10.0 million face amount of EP Energy, LLC Senior Unsecured Notes at a price of 113.375 resulting in a realized capital gain of $1.3 million, or $0.06 per common share. Our total investment in EP Energy LLC Senior Unsecured Notes, which began as a $25 million participation in their original issuance in April 2012, generated an internal rate of return of 36.5% with a return on investment of 1.16x. Also during the first quarter of 2013, Southern Pacific Resource Corp. repaid its debt obligations under its $272.2 million Second Lien Term Loan, including the $9.8 million face amount that we held, with a 1% call premium, generating an internal rate of return of 10.7% with a return on investment of 1.09x.
On April 1, 2013, GMX Resources ("GMX") and certain of its affiliates filed petitions for relief under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. In connection with its bankruptcy filing, GMX announced that it is pursuing an asset purchase agreement with certain senior first-lien creditors to acquire substantially all of GMX's operating assets and undeveloped acreage. Once the contemplated asset purchase agreement with such senior creditors is finalized, the sale would then be subject to a public auction, pursuant to procedures to be approved by the Bankruptcy Court. We hold $12.7 million face amount of GMX's Senior Secured Second-Priority Notes due 2018, or the GMX 2018 Notes, which are subordinate to the debt held by the senior creditors mentioned above. As a result of these proceedings, we placed the investment on non-accrual status and reduced the estimated fair value of our investment in the GMX 2018 Notes to zero as of March 31, 2013, resulting in an unrealized loss of $7.4 million, or $0.35 per share, during the first quarter of 2013.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV