By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Two words sum up the trading in Bank of America (BAC) on Monday: fast money.
The financial behemoth opened higher, and the option action hit almost immediately as traders took positions in the short-term weekly calls that expire this Friday. OptionMonster's tracking systems show that activity was initially focused on the 12.50 calls, which were bought early for 10 cents to 12 cents.
Those contracts lock in the price where the stock can be purchased no matter how high it might rise. Because they are relatively inexpensive, the options can generate significant leverage if the stock moves. And move it did.The stock paused briefly, but then press reports indicated that the bank would settle a legal dispute with bond insurer MBIA (MBI). That gave the shares a second wind, pushing them up 5.23% to $12.88 by the end of the session. The Weekly 12.50 calls more than tripled to 41 cents -- not bad for a few hours work. More than 56,000 contracts changed hands, compared with previous open interest of 33,441 at the strike. Investors piled into the Weekly 13 calls later in the session, eventually buying more than 100,000 contracts. Premiums surged from just 1 cent to 13 cents. Total option volume was quadruple the daily average, with calls accounting for more than four-fifths of the total. Russell owns shares in MBIA.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV