1 Million Babies Die The Day They're Born, Save The Children Says
Globally, a rising share of child deaths — 43 percent — now occur in the newborn period, or first month of life.
The leading causes are prematurity, birth complications and severe infections. In the United States and developing countries alike, the poorest mothers are more likely to lose a newborn baby, the report finds.
The countries with the most first-day deaths annually are India (more than 300,000) and Nigeria (almost 90,000). In Somalia, which has the highest first-day death rate, babies are about 40 times more likely to die than in Singapore and Sweden, which have among the lowest.
The report finds that four products costing between 13 cents and $6 could save 1 million newborns a year — many on their first day. They are: resuscitation devices, the antiseptic chlorhexidine to prevent cord infections, injectable antibiotics and antenatal steroid injections to help preterm babies' lungs develop.Other factors the report says will save more newborns include: breastfeeding, "kangaroo mother care," skilled attendance at birth, addressing the health worker crisis and investing in female empowerment. Learn more and take action at www.savethechildren.org/mothers , where you can also watch celebrity and everyday-moms share their first moments with their babies. Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in 120 countries, including the United States. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
SOURCE Save the Children
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV