MINNETONKA, Minn., May 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Data to be presented tomorrow at the American Urological Association (AUA) Annual Meeting demonstrate that treatment for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) with GreenLight XPS ® laser therapy with MoXy ® fiber, instead of transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP), results in significantly shorter hospitalization, catheterization, and recovery times for patients, while maintaining equivalent safety and efficacy.
"This trial provides important new information that may cause many urologists and patients to choose GreenLight ™ laser therapy as an alternative to TURP, which has long been regarded as the standard surgical treatment for BPH," said Professor Alexander Bachmann, M.D., University Hospital Basel, Switzerland, and principal investigator in the GOLIATH study. "With faster recovery times, less time spent in the hospital and less catheterization time than TURP, GreenLight ™ is a highly effective therapy for the treatment of BPH."
The findings from the prospective, multicenter, randomized GOLIATH trial, demonstrate the equivalence in safety and effectiveness of the 180W GreenLight XPS ® system for addressing lower urinary tract symptoms associated with BPH. Manufactured by American Medical Systems, an Endo Health Solutions Inc. (Nasdaq: ENDP) subsidiary, GreenLight XPS ® is the most widely used BPH laser treatment currently on the market.
"GreenLight ™ laser therapy is the leading minimally invasive laser surgical treatment for BPH world-wide, and offers patients a proven innovative option to TURP," said Camille Farhat, president of AMS. "Left untreated, BPH, and the resulting symptoms, can cause permanent damage to the urinary system. We look forward to helping more men who undergo surgery for BPH recover faster and potentially return to their active lifestyles more quickly."During the GreenLight ™ procedure, the physician uses a laser to remove excess prostate tissue, creating a larger channel for urine flow to pass through. The innovative, outpatient procedure is suitable for most patients with enlarged prostates, delivers rapid urine flow improvement, and provides immediate and lasting relief of lower urinary tract symptoms. GreenLight ™ is available in 70 countries and has been used to treat more than 700,000 patients worldwide. More information is available for physicians at www.amsgreenlight.com and for patients at www.greenlightforbph.com. GOLIATH Study Trial Design and Results The GOLIATH study was designed to compare TURP and PVP (Photo-Selective Vaporization of the Prostate) with the 180W GreenLight XPS ® system using a variety of symptomatic, functional and safety outcome measures. The study evaluated 269 patients from 29 sites in 11 European countries based on 6-month post procedural results. All adverse events were adjudicated and classified by an independent, blinded clinical events committee. Key trial findings include:
- Equivalency in safety, as evidenced by the number and rate of adverse events, and efficacy, as determined by IPSS (International Prostate Symptom Score) and Qmax (peak urinary flow rate)
- Superiority of GreenLight XPS ® in recovery times including shorter catheterization times, shorter hospital stay, and a faster return to a stable health status
- Significantly lower rate of short-term re-intervention with GreenLight XPS ®
- Numerically fewer bleeding and dysuric events with GreenLight XPS ® than TURP
- Comparable prostate tissue volume and PSA (prostate specific antigen) reduction
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV