GRAND CAYMAN, Cayman Islands, May 6, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Greenlight Capital Re, Ltd. (Nasdaq:GLRE) today announced financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2013. Greenlight Re reported net income of $56.7 million for the first quarter of 2013 compared to net income of $65.1 million for the same period in 2012. Fully diluted net income per share was $1.52 compared to fully diluted net income per share of $1.75 for the same period in 2012.
Fully diluted adjusted book value per share was $23.45 as of March 31, 2013, a 0.7% increase from $23.29 per share as of March 31, 2012.
Financial and operating highlights for Greenlight Re for the first quarter ended March 31, 2013 include:
- Gross written premiums in the first quarter of 2013 were $127.0 million, compared to $152.2 million in the first quarter of 2012; net earned premiums were $109.5 million, an increase from $101.6 million reported in the prior-year period.
- Underwriting income of $1.9 million was reported for the first quarter of 2013, compared to underwriting income of $2.3 million in the first quarter of 2012. During the first quarter of 2013, the company established additional net reserves of $1.6 million, as additional reserves related to Greenlight Re's general liability book of business were partially offset by a reversal of reserves established for super-storm Sandy.
- A net investment gain of 5.8%, on Greenlight Re's investment portfolio managed by DME Advisors, LP was reported for the first quarter 2013. This compares to a net investment gain of 6.5% in the first quarter of 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV