Appliances were also in high demand; most homes that took on water had to throw out all of their downstairs appliances. During the tear-out phase, it was an endless sea of washers and dryers, dishwashers, stoves and refrigerators strewn across front yards. Once rebuilding is complete, there are a lot of appliances to be replaced; which will again bode well for the retailers; Home Depot, Lowe's, Sears (S) and Best Buy (BBBY) to name a handful; not to mention manufacturers such as Whirlpool (WHR). With a lot of kitchens also in need of replacement, Masco (MAS) whose products include Kraftmaid cabinets, should also be seeing a lot of business in the Northeast.
The refurbishment of homes is just the beginning, at least on our little island, and I'd suspect for much of the Jersey Shore. Given the extent of the damage, many homes, including ours, will be required to be raised above base flood elevation levels.
In a nutshell, if the damage to your home was more than 50% of the value (the replacement cost new, per the tax assessor, which is typically a very low amount as it does not include the land value), the home needs to be raised on blocks or pilings. With flood insurance rates set to skyrocket, especially for homes below base flood elevation levels, there's extra incentive for homeowners to raise their homes. That will result in the sale of massive quantities of concrete blocks, and other supplies over the next four years, which is how long we have to comply.
We've come a long way in the past six months in many of the areas affected by Sandy, but there are still a lot of people without primary residences. We've had it easy by comparison.At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @JonMHellerCFA This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV