PORTLAND, Maine and CHERRY HILL, N.J., May 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- A new survey from TD Bank, America's Most Convenient Bank ®, found that despite the challenges facing them, more than half (60 percent) of small business owners feel their business is performing at expected levels so far in 2013.
TD Bank's survey, which polled more than 600 small business owners, also asked owners to identify their barriers to success. They reported that their top three challenges are growing their business (51 percent), the economic environment (45 percent) and cash flow (34 percent).
"It's not surprising that small business owners still struggle to be optimistic or confident about performance in the current economic environment," said Jay DesMarteau, TD Bank's Head of Small Business. "We know the difference a strong banking partnership can make in helping small business owners manage their money, focus on growth opportunities and hiring."Half of the small business owners (50 percent) said that growth or expanding their business was their biggest opportunity this year. Specifically, they want to grow their business, expand services, develop new contacts and new clients, and drive better sales. Hiring outlook not optimistic The survey found that the optimism in performance does not extend to hiring. The number of small business owners reporting that they plan to hire in 2013 went down by half, compared with data TD gathered through a small business owner outlook survey of more than 500 business owners in December 2012. Only 17 percent plan to hire at least one new employee, down from 32 percent six months ago. However, more than three-quarter of small business owners (79 percent) intend to keep staffing levels the same, up from 59 percent in December.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV