May 6, 2013
/PRNewswire/ -- The Hanover Insurance Group Foundation, Inc. announced today that it will continue its role as lead sponsor of the 28
Annual Central Massachusetts Walk for the Homeless.
The popular community event raises funds for programs and services of the Central Massachusetts Housing Alliance and is set to take place on
Sunday, May 19
. In addition to sponsoring the walk, dozens of The
's employees are expected to run or walk the 3.1 mile course that day.
"CMHA is so appreciative to have The
's leadership and support in our efforts to eliminate homelessness and assist those in need," said
Ann Gibbons Smith
, assistant executive director of CMHA. "We thank them for their commitment to building healthy neighborhoods, promoting educational opportunities and providing resources to build strong communities."
This year, The
's total contribution to the Central Mass Housing Alliance is
dedicated to the walk and
to support Youth Against Homelessness.
Youth Against Homelessness
is a grass-roots organization that is comprised of students from five area high schools, who come together to learn about the issue of homelessness, and organize themselves as advocates and volunteers in their communities
and its employees are very proud to continue supporting the Central Mass Housing Alliance, a wonderful organization that is dedicated to address the deeply-rooted issues surrounding homelessness," said
, assistant vice president, corporate community relations at The
. "Together, it feels good to be working toward a common goal, along with so many other local partners and collaborators, to make our community stronger, healthier and more vibrant."
In addition to supporting Youth Against Homelessness, funds raised by the walk support several other designated programs and services of the Central Massachusetts Housing Alliance. These include:
- The Donations Clearinghouse—run in partnership with Rotman's Furniture and the Carpet Store, this program provides furniture to families and individuals who have lost their homes and/or belongings and are struggling to start over
- Hope for Housing—this collaborative effort of the Central Massachusetts Housing Alliance and the Interfaith Coalition to End Family Homelessness helps at-risk families remain in their homes
- Interfaith Hospitality Network—this Friendly House program helps homeless families stay off the street by utilizing faith-based buildings for temporary shelter
- Friendly House—this homeless shelter that provides a sanctuary, emergency help, food, medical care, after school and summer camp programs for children, day care, senior programs and counseling services to the Greater Worcester community
- St. John's Food for the Poor Program—located at St. John's Church on Temple Street in Worcester the organization serves as a place of refuge for some of the city's most impoverished people for the past 177 years. The mission of the church and its people is to provide sustenance and dignity to anyone who comes to their doors. The Hanover contributed $70,000 to the food program since its inception.
Annual Central Massachusetts Walk for the Homeless will take place rain or shine.
About the Central Massachusetts Housing Alliance
The Central Massachusetts Housing Alliance was formed by the merger in 1994 of two longstanding housing organizations in Worcester—the Housing Information Center, a tenants rights organizing group; and the Worcester Committee on Homelessness and Housing, which operated a network of homeless shelters and services for the homeless. With their complimentary missions, the organizations joined together to provide more efficient service delivery, greater community coordination and a strengthened advocacy program, which now includes all of
. To learn more the Central Massachusetts Housing Alliance, visit their Web site at: CMHAONLINE.ORG.
About The Hanover
Founded in 1852, The Hanover Insurance Group, Inc. (NYSE: THG) is proud to be celebrating 160 years of delivering on its promises to its agent and broker partners, and their customers. The Hanover Insurance Group, Inc., based in
, is the holding company for a group of insurers that includes The Hanover Insurance Company,
, Citizens Insurance Company of America,
, Chaucer Holdings plc,
, and their affiliates. The
offers a wide range of property and casualty products and services to businesses, individuals, and families through a select group of agents and brokers. The company is ranked among the top 25 property and casualty insurers in
the United States
. Through Chaucer, the company also underwrites business at Lloyd's of
in several major insurance and reinsurance classes, including property, marine and aviation, energy, U.K. motor and casualty. For more information, please visit
SOURCE The Hanover Insurance Group, Inc.