This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration. Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here
WALNUT CREEK, Calif.,
May 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- As weather warms and triggers the onset of flea and tick season, nearly half (45 percent) of pet owners say they want to treat infestations themselves rather than make a trip to the veterinarian, according to a new Kelton survey released today by Adams™ products, a pet care brand in the Central Garden & Pet portfolio. This growing do-it-yourself (DIY) mindset is challenging for the majority of pet owners (73 percent) surveyed who admit they are not completely confident that they know the best way to treat and prevent the entire flea life cycle. Adding to the frustration, 81 percent report their first pass at a solution was ineffective as fleas and ticks reappeared. The brand is rolling out its award-winning pet, home and yard solutions, including the 2013 Pet Product of the Year Adams™
® Applicator and a new interactive website, to empower savvy pet owners looking for smart and easy ways to tackle pesky fleas and ticks on their own.
The success of the Adams™ product innovations are in keeping with other DIY pet trends revealed by the Kelton survey, including:
Dealing with fleas and ticks is a fact of life for close to three-quarters (74 percent) of America's cat and dog owners who say their pets have had fleas or ticks at least once.
More than three-quarters (77 percent) of pet owners don't know that only 5% of the flea population can be seen, leaving 95 percent of the infestation to be practically invisible because they are at the microscopic flea egg, larva and pupa stages.
Over the last few years, more than one third (35 percent) of pet owners have made changes to their pet's care due to the economy. Specifically – more than one in three (37 percent) of these pet owners say the economy has caused them to rely less on vets when it comes to flea and tick prevention.
More than one in five (22 percent) admittedly imperfect pet parents agree they'd feel like better cat and dog owners if they could save their pets and household from the threat of fleas and ticks in their household.
"As seen in the Kelton survey, infestations can be overwhelming and easy to underestimate considering most pet owners are not aware that the majority of the flea population is at the microscopic egg stage, getting ready to hatch and worsen the problem," said
Steve LeVeau, Director of Marketing for Animal Health, Adams Pet Products. "To effectively treat against an infestation, you need to kill the visible adult fleas on the pet as well as eliminate the threat of the eggs hatching in your home and/or around your yard. DIY pet owners are drawn to the comprehensive line of Adams™ products because our products are proven to effectively attack the full flea life cycle on their pet and in their homes. Using Adams™ products save money when compared to vet visits and are conveniently available at stores nationwide."
A shining star in the Adams™ line-up is the Adams
™ Smart Shield
® Applicator, winner of the coveted 2013 Pet Product of the Year honor following a robust survey of more than 50,000 everyday shoppers. DIY pet owners appreciate how easy it is to insert the treatment tube into the reusable Smart Shield
® applicator and effectively apply flea and tick treatment to their pet for less cost than most vet brands. The patent-pending design helps part fur for direct application to the pet's skin (where the bugs live) and effectively keeps liquid off hands, empowering pet owners with the confidence to apply treatment by themselves, without a mess.
Adding to the DIY pet owners' arsenal of smarter solutions is Adams™ products' refreshed interactive website at
www.adamspetcare.com/news. In addition to helpful insights from pet health experts, pet owners can sign up for the Smarter Pet Care
TM Club which offers a
$2 off coupon for Adams™ products, and helpful flea and tick product application reminders. Consumers can purchase products online, or use the convenient online store locator to find nearby stores that carry Adams™ products. Adams™ products are sold at retailers nationwide including Walmart, PetSmart, Petco, Kroger, Lowes, Publix, HEB, Amazon.com, and local pet stores.
*Product of the Year USA, the nation's largest consumer-driven packaged good competition announced Adams
TM Smart Shield
® Applicator as the Pet Care Category Winner for 2013. This coveted vote of consumer confidence is based on a robust survey of 50,138 everyday shoppers and recognized nationwide as a trusted benchmark for the most innovative products on the market.