WALNUT CREEK, Calif., May 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- As weather warms and triggers the onset of flea and tick season, nearly half (45 percent) of pet owners say they want to treat infestations themselves rather than make a trip to the veterinarian, according to a new Kelton survey released today by Adams™ products, a pet care brand in the Central Garden & Pet portfolio. This growing do-it-yourself (DIY) mindset is challenging for the majority of pet owners (73 percent) surveyed who admit they are not completely confident that they know the best way to treat and prevent the entire flea life cycle. Adding to the frustration, 81 percent report their first pass at a solution was ineffective as fleas and ticks reappeared. The brand is rolling out its award-winning pet, home and yard solutions, including the 2013 Pet Product of the Year Adams™ Smart Shield ® Applicator and a new interactive website, to empower savvy pet owners looking for smart and easy ways to tackle pesky fleas and ticks on their own.
The success of the Adams™ product innovations are in keeping with other DIY pet trends revealed by the Kelton survey, including:
- Dealing with fleas and ticks is a fact of life for close to three-quarters (74 percent) of America's cat and dog owners who say their pets have had fleas or ticks at least once.
- More than three-quarters (77 percent) of pet owners don't know that only 5% of the flea population can be seen, leaving 95 percent of the infestation to be practically invisible because they are at the microscopic flea egg, larva and pupa stages.
- Over the last few years, more than one third (35 percent) of pet owners have made changes to their pet's care due to the economy. Specifically – more than one in three (37 percent) of these pet owners say the economy has caused them to rely less on vets when it comes to flea and tick prevention.
- More than one in five (22 percent) admittedly imperfect pet parents agree they'd feel like better cat and dog owners if they could save their pets and household from the threat of fleas and ticks in their household.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV