NEW YORK, May 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Jones Group Inc. ("Jones" or the "Company") (NYSE: JNY) today announced that it has reached an agreement with Barington Capital Group, L.P. ("Barington") under which James A. Mitarotonda has been nominated to stand for election to the Board of Directors at the Company's 2013 Annual Meeting of Stockholders. With the addition of Mr. Mitarotonda, the Jones Board of Directors will expand to eleven members, eight of whom are independent, ten of whom are non-management and all of whom are annually elected.
Robert L. Mettler, Chair of the Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee and Presiding Independent Director of the Board of Directors, said: "We value Jim's expertise in the retail, apparel and footwear industries and welcome his input as we continue to execute on our plan and drive results during this pivotal period of transformation for the Company. The Jones Group Board of Directors and management team are focused on improving profitability and enhancing shareholder value for the long-term."
James A. Mitarotonda, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Barington Capital Group, stated: "I am pleased to join the Board of The Jones Group, a well-respected company with significant potential for future growth. I support the recent initiatives the Company has taken and I look forward to working with my fellow directors to build value for all Jones Group stockholders."
After joining the Board, Mr. Mitarotonda will be serving on the Audit Committee.As part of the agreement, Barington, which represents a group of investors that owns approximately 2.3% of The Jones Group common stock, has agreed to vote its shares in support of all of the Company's director nominees at the 2013 Annual Meeting. Barington has also agreed to certain customary "standstill" provisions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV