By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Tibco Software (TIBX) has been falling for the last year, but the bulls showed up at the end of last week.
OptionMonster's tracking programs detected heavy call volume in the provider of business software on Friday. The trades began in the June 18s, which initially fetched $2 but then saw large blocks price for $2.15 and $2.20.
Minutes later, the June 19s also lit up with buyers paying $1.50 and $1.55 for more than 3,000 of those contracts. There was barely any open interest at either strike when the session began, so this was new money being put to work.Calls lock the price where shares can be purchased. They have a tight correlation to the stock price at a fraction of the cost, which can result in significant leverage if the shares rise. For instance, a gain of just 10% in the stock could cause both the June 18s and 19s to almost double in value. Tibco's shares continued to advance into Friday afternoon, ending the day up 2.69% to $19.82. The stock is back to a level where it bounced in August 2011 and December 2012, which could be leading some chart watchers to believe that it's at support and poised to move higher again. Total option volume was nine times greater than average in the session, with calls outnumbering puts by more than 100 to 1. Russell has no positions in TIBX.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV