8. First Defiance Financial
Shares of First Defiance Financial (FDEF) of Defiance, Ohio, closed at $21.89 Friday, returning 15% this year, following a 33% return during 2012. The shares trade for 1.1 times tangible book value, and for 8.8 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $2.49. The consensus 2013 EPS estimate is $2.09.
Based on a quarterly payout of 10 cents, the shares have a dividend yield of 1.83%.The company reported first-quarter net income of $5.6 million, or 55 cents a share, increasing from $5.2 million, or 52 cents a share, in the fourth quarter, and $4.2 million, or 37 cents a share, in the first quarter of 2012. Like most of the banks in this group of 10, first-quarter returns were good, with an ROA of 1.09% and a return on average tangible common equity of 11.81%. KBW analyst John Barber rates First Defiance "outperform," with a $24 price target, saying in a note to clients on April 24 that he was "pleased" to see the company's provision for loan losses decline to $425,000 in the first quarter from $2.6 million in the fourth quarter, and its annualized ratio of net charge-offs to average loans improve to 0.18% in the first quarter from 0.59% the previous quarter. The provision for loan losses is the amount added to loan loss reserves each quarter. Net charge-offs are loan losses less recoveries. Interested in more on First Defiance Financial? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV