Syria Reports Israeli Bombing Sunday
DAMASCUS, Syria ( TheStreet) -- Explosions reportedly rocked the outskirts of the Syrian capital early Sunday, and Syria's state news agency said they resulted from Israeli air attacks.
If Israel did indeed carry out an airstrike, it would be the second in three days and would mark a heightening of Middle Eastern tensions as Syria's civil war escalates.
Syria's Sana news agency reported that Israeli jets were targeting the Jamraya research center Sunday morning.
Earlier Israeli attacks this year -- one overnight Thursday and one in January -- were near the same research center.On Saturday, U.S. officials said that Thursday's attack was aimed at a shipment of advanced missiles that Syria wanted to transfer to the Hezbollah militant organization, The New York Times reported. As it fights a civil war, the regime of Bashar al-Assad enjoys the support of both Iran and Lebanon's Hezbollah. The regime has been shipping weapons from Iran to Hezbollah, but as the civil war escalates, al-Assad may want to speed up weapons shipments to the Lebanese militants before he loses power, the Times also said. Residents of Damascus reached by phone said they heard large explosions after 2 a.m. coming from the Qasioun Mountains that overlook the capital, The Wall Street Journal reported.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV