NEW YORK -- Former Dow Jones & Co. executive William Cox Jr. has died at age 82, according to The Wall Street Journal.
The Journal report cited unnamed people close to the family. Cox was part of the Bancroft family that controlled Dow Jones and The Wall Street Journal until they were sold to Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. (NWSA) in 2007.
The sale was contentious because the Journal had long been independent and members of the Bancroft family were divided about whether to sell or not. But eventually, News Corp. paid about $5 billion to acquire Dow Jones, which publishes the Journal.
Cox was Midwestern regional sales manager at Dow Jones and worked for The Wall Street Journal in London. He became executive director of client-relations and kept that post until 1997, according to The Wall Street Journal.The reclusive Bancroft clan traces its association to Dow Jones back to 1902, when Boston newspaperman Clarence W. Barron bought control of the company founded 20 years earlier by Charles Dow, Edward Jones and Charles Bergstresser.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV