Poarch Creek Responds To Dismissal Of Terrorist Charge
2. We have continually lived on our Alabama Tribal lands and survived centuries of poverty.
3. Our Wetumpka property is a small portion of what had been a large Indian town called Hickory Ground. The land had been farmed and developed by others for centuries. When it came up for sale, we saw a way to regain some of our historical lands, protect our ancestors and history, and provide for our people and our communities.
- We believed it was historically significant as a center of Creek Indian trade, government, and economic development.
- Unbeknownst to us, a small part of the property we acquired was Hickory Ground Town's Ceremonial Grounds. The Ceremonial Grounds had not (and has not) been disturbed and the Tribe staunchly protects the site.
- The current town of Wetumpka, Alabama, is built on what was once the Indian town of Hickory Ground. Prior to it becoming a Creek settlement, historians estimate that the area had been occupied by humans since at least 6000 B.C.
4. We asked the Muskogee Nation to join with us in applying for a grant to buy the property. They didn't respond.
5. If we had known then what we know now, we may have done things differently. However, we cannot rewrite history.
- The site had been eroded for many years due to farming and lack of maintenance.
- State archeologists asked to study the site and we agreed.
- We had limited finances, limited technology, and limited resources.
- Our northern 17 acres are preserved in perpetuity as a memorial to the historical significance of the site.
- Remains found within the Ceremonial Grounds were never removed.
- In accordance with Creek Indian tradition, remains found outside the Ceremonial Grounds were interred adjacent to the Ceremonial Grounds with prayer and ceremony.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts