Poarch Creek Responds To Dismissal Of Terrorist Charge
2. We have continually lived on our Alabama Tribal lands and survived centuries of poverty.
3. Our Wetumpka property is a small portion of what had been a large Indian town called Hickory Ground. The land had been farmed and developed by others for centuries. When it came up for sale, we saw a way to regain some of our historical lands, protect our ancestors and history, and provide for our people and our communities.
- We believed it was historically significant as a center of Creek Indian trade, government, and economic development.
- Unbeknownst to us, a small part of the property we acquired was Hickory Ground Town's Ceremonial Grounds. The Ceremonial Grounds had not (and has not) been disturbed and the Tribe staunchly protects the site.
- The current town of Wetumpka, Alabama, is built on what was once the Indian town of Hickory Ground. Prior to it becoming a Creek settlement, historians estimate that the area had been occupied by humans since at least 6000 B.C.
4. We asked the Muskogee Nation to join with us in applying for a grant to buy the property. They didn't respond.
5. If we had known then what we know now, we may have done things differently. However, we cannot rewrite history.
- The site had been eroded for many years due to farming and lack of maintenance.
- State archeologists asked to study the site and we agreed.
- We had limited finances, limited technology, and limited resources.
- Our northern 17 acres are preserved in perpetuity as a memorial to the historical significance of the site.
- Remains found within the Ceremonial Grounds were never removed.
- In accordance with Creek Indian tradition, remains found outside the Ceremonial Grounds were interred adjacent to the Ceremonial Grounds with prayer and ceremony.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV