Utah Coal Miners Protest Outside Berkshire Meeting
OMAHA, Neb. -- Dozens of Utah coal miners are picketing outside Berkshire Hathaway's (BRK.A) annual meeting in downtown Omaha.
The protesters are members of United Mine Workers of America who work at Deer Creek mine near Huntington, Utah. The mine is run by a subsidiary of Berkshire's MidAmerican Energy Holdings Co.
The union's contract expired in January, and the union and company are disagreeing on health care coverage and safety checks.
A mine spokeswoman says the company is committed to a fair solution but won't comment on specific proposals.Bernie Morris of Price, Utah, stood in the rain to hand out flyers. The 67-year-old Morris says he's worked for the coal mine for 28 years, but fears he won't be able to afford the monthly health insurance premium the company wants to charge.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV