Fortune Brands Home & Security is the product of a restructuring. In October 2011, its parent conglomerate, Fortune Brands Inc., spun out its home and security operations as a separate company in what was seen as an effort to ward off investor pressure.
It also in May of that year sold its golf business, Acushnet Co., for $1.2 billion to a group that included Fila Korea Ltd. and Mirae Asset Private Equity. The remaining assets became separately traded spirits company Beam Inc., also of Deerfield.
Fortune also reported first-quarter earnings Thursday. It recorded Ebitda of $84.5 million and $37.5 million in net income for the three months ended March 31, as compared with $45.4 million in Ebitda and $13 million in net income for the same period last year. Sales came in at $890 million for the first quarter of 2013 as compared to $798.8 million for the first quarter of 2012.
"We had another quarter of strong results," Klein said. "Our March 31 balance sheet ended with cash at $259 million. It remains solid. Debt remained at $326 million. Our net debt-to-Ebitda leverage is 0.2 times, and we have nothing drawn on our $650 million revolving credit facility," Wyatt added.The company also initiated a 10 cent per share dividend on Tuesday. WoodCrafters couldn't be reached for further comment on the deal. Fortune Brands has a market capitalization of $6.1 billion. Its stock opened Friday up 6% from the market close of $37.43 per share. Written by Thomas Zadvydas in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV