He said Trius Therapeutics (TSRX) is highly speculative but he thinks the risk-reward makes it worth a try.
No Huddle Offense
In his "No Huddle Offense" segment, Cramer followed up on his interview last night with the CEO of Charles River Laboratories (CRL). He said any company working on conquering disease needs basic research, and Charles River is clearly the leader in that space. But isn't it odd Big Pharma is winding down its research spending at the same time biotechs are adding to theirs?
Cramer said this trend shows how old-line Big Pharma is ceding its leadership to the next generation of small biotech firms that are just as hungry as they were in the 1990s. Biotechs are risk takers, he said, while Big Pharma has now relegated itself to merely buying back stock to help boost earnings per share.To watch replays of Cramer's video segments, visit the Mad Money page on CNBC. -- Written by Scott Rutt in Washington, D.C. To email Scott about this article, click here: Scott Rutt Follow Scott on Twitter @ScottRutt or get updates on Facebook, ScottRuttDC
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV