Stocks Preparing for Pullback: Buy on Bad News, Sell on Good
NEW YORK ( TheGoldAndOilGuy.com) -- The S&P 500 remains in a strong uptrend, but the index has posted a sizable gains for 2013 thus far so it's only logical that a pullback within this bull market takes place sooner than later.
With May now upon us -- and historically prices fall more times than not -- I feel a three- to four-week correction is on the verge of starting. Today we had very strong economic numbers confirming the economy is recovering. This news has sent stocks sharply higher as shorts cover their positions and investors who are not yet long get into position to profit from higher prices.
But the herd psychology and their trades are typically incorrect as they invest based on fear and greed. The old saying "buy on negative news and sell on positive news" will typically get you on the correct side of the market more times than not if used with price, volume and cycles.
The Technical Traders - S&P 500 Index Weekly ChartIf we look at the price of the S&P 500 we need it to break down below the recent pivot low before I become bearish. Volume, which is not shown on this chart, is below average as price moves higher. This is a bearish sign, also. Looking at a basic cycle using the stochastics indicator we can see that the current cycle is starting to turn down. Cycles tend to lead price during an uptrend, so we could still have stocks move higher for another week or so. But be aware that when price starts to drop, it's likely a market top. But until then you must respect the uptrend. Stocks can remain overbought and toppy looking for months... so don't be gambling and trying to pick a top until we see breakdown start.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV