Barnes & Noble (BKS) is teaming up with Google to enhance its line of Nook tablets.
Through the partnership, Google's Gmail, Chrome Web browser, Maps and Google Play app store will be installed on new Nook tablets. The newest Nooks on the market now will be able to update their software to receive the Google products.
The partnership will give Nook users the ability to download music for the first time. It will also increase the number of apps users can access from 10,000 via Barnes & Noble's app store to 700,000 via Google Play. The Barnes & Noble app will remain on the tablets as well.
The modifications to the Nook should help make it more competitive against rivals like Amazon's Kindle Fire, which is already equipped with access to Google Android apps.Barnes & Noble did not reveal financial terms of the deal with Google. Prices of the Nooks are expected to remain the same. The HD model is priced at $199 and the HD+ model is listed at $269. The move comes after Barnes & Noble reported that its Nook revenue fell 26% for the quarter ended Jan. 26.
The chatter on Main Street (a.k.a. Google, Yahoo! and other search sites) is always of interest to investors on Wall Street. Thus, each day, TheStreet compiles the stories that are trending on the Web, and highlights the news that could make stocks move. -- Written by Brittany Umar.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV