ST. LOUIS, May 3, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Furniture Brands International (NYSE:FBN) today announced financial results for the quarter ended March 30, 2013.
For the quarter ended March 30, 2013:
- Net sales were $254.7 million compared to $287.3 million for the three months ended March 31, 2012, a decrease of $32.6 million, or 11.3%. First quarter 2013 retail sales at the 49 Thomasville company-owned stores totaled $26.9 million compared with sales of $27.5 million at 48 Thomasville company-owned stores in the prior year period. First quarter same-store sales at the 46 Thomasville stores that the company has owned for more than 15 months were down 2.3% compared to the first quarter of 2012, when same-store sales were flat.
- Gross profit was $51.5 million and gross margin was 20.2%, which included $1.0 million in charges related to product rationalization. Gross profit for the first quarter of 2012 was $71.4 million and gross margin was 24.9%. Excluding this charge, the decrease in first quarter 2013 gross margin when compared to the year ago period was primarily due to deleveraging of fixed manufacturing costs due to lower sales, product rework and additional inventory charges, increased freight costs, and increased employee benefit costs.
- Selling, general and administrative expenses (SG&A) for the first quarter of 2013 totaled $69.1 million and included $0.5 million in charges related to dark stores. SG&A expenses for the first quarter of 2012 totaled $70.0 million. Excluding this charge, the decrease in the first quarter 2013 SG&A was primarily due to lower compensation costs, partially offset by an increase in advertising expense.
- The Company had an operating loss of $19.0 million as compared to an operating income of $1.4 million in the prior year quarter. The current quarter operating loss includes $2.9 million of charges, which consist of the aforementioned $1.5 million of charges as well as $1.4 million of impairment charges related to assets held for sale.
- Interest expense was $2.4 million as compared to $0.8 million in the prior year period. The increase in interest expense was primarily due to the increased interest rate on higher debt and amortization of debt issuance costs related to the previously announced debt refinancing in September 2012.
- Net loss for the first quarter of 2013 was $21.2 million, or $0.38 per diluted share, which includes a $2.9 million after-tax charge from the aforementioned items. This compares to a net profit of $0.4 million, or $0.01 per diluted share, in the first quarter of 2012.
- The Company ended the quarter with a cash balance of $10.3 million and a debt balance of $116.8 million.
Mr. Ralph Scozzafava, Chairman and CEO stated, "While this was a difficult quarter in what was a volatile environment, we are aggressively addressing the issues. We are well underway on implementing our transformation plan to restore positive EBITDA and free cash flow generation. Most notably, we made significant progress in revamping our stationary line at Lane and introduced a new line of motion upholstery at Broyhill. In addition, the continued transition of our product line and marketing at Thomasville saw strong response as evidenced by a 6% increase in first quarter written sales in our Thomasville company-owned stores. We also made progress with our supply chain network efficiency program as we are currently consolidating our Mt. Airy facility into our Longview plant. Finally, we continued our overall cost containment efforts and have identified further opportunities for meaningful reductions."