By Pete Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- CBS (CBS) reported a strong first quarter this week, and traders apparently think the good news will keep on coming.
OptionMonster's tracking programs detected buying in the September 50 calls for $2.15 and the September 55 calls for 85 cents. Calls outnumbered puts by more than 13,000 to 3,000, a reflection of the bullish sentiment.
These calls lock in the price where the stock can be purchased, so they can generate some nice leverage in a rally. Traders use these options because they also limit the amount of money that can be lost if the shares drop.CBS gained 2.05% to $47.35 Thursday after reporting a great quarter Wednesday evening, supported by strong Super Bowl advertising revenue. Ads accounted for more than 60% of the company's top line. The question now is whether the stock can sustain this momentum, as it is interesting to see buyers positioning so aggressively in the September options. Those premiums are high, and CBS will have to make another strong move for them to pay off. Total option volume in the name Thursday was more than quadruple its daily average in the last month. Najarian has no positions in CBS.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV