Martindale Pharma® Launches Prenoxad® Injection For The Emergency Treatment Of Opioid Overdose
BRENTWOOD, England, May 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- World's first licensed naloxone product for use by non-healthcare profession individuals in a community setting
- Prenoxad Injection is a pre-filled syringe containing 1mg/ml naloxone hydrochloride solution for injection
Martindale Pharma, a leader in the manufacture and supply of specialty pharmaceuticals, is pleased to announce the UK launch of Prenoxad Injection, the world's first licensed emergency treatment for acute opioid related overdose for use at home or other non-medical settings 1.
Prenoxad Injection is a Prescription Only Medicine (POM) containing a solution of naloxone hydrochloride. It is intended for emergency use for the complete or partial reversal of life-threatening respiratory depression following the administration of natural or synthetic opioids. Naloxone is an 'opioid antagonist' medicine with an excellent safety and efficacy profile following use over more than four decades 2.
Prenoxad Injection will be made available to people who are at risk of opioid related overdose or to their nominated client or representative 1. It will be administered as part of an emergency resuscitation intervention in suspected overdose casualties and must be used in combination with other basic life support measures. The use of Prenoxad Injection should always be preceded by calling emergency services and requesting an ambulance.There are more than 1,000 fatal opioid related overdoses in the UK each year alone, with a significant proportion of these being witnessed by other people who use drugs, family members and loved ones. It is recognised that the availability of naloxone at the scene of the overdose can help to reduce this figure 2. The UK Government 3, and each of the devolved administrations 4,5 ,6 have identified overdose and drugs related deaths as a significant public health concern and reducing these deaths is a key goal. The provision of naloxone to people at risk of overdose is already underway in Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland on a national basis, with many local programmes in existence across England. In May 2012 the Advisory Council on Misuse of Drugs (ACMD) published a report on naloxone including the recommendation that: " Naloxone should be made more widely available to tackle the high numbers of fatal opioid overdoses in the UK 2." Martindale Pharma has developed Prenoxad Injection following extensive consultation and networking with those responsible for commissioning and delivering outcome focused recovery orientated services, as well as the people who use these services.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV