This story has been updated with additional information.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) - Can't figure out what to get Mom for Mother's Day? We've come up with five gift ideas sure to make Mom feel special.
Consumers are expected to spend more than $20 billion on gifts this year to pamper Mom. Traditional items like flowers, clothing and gift cards are always popular, but this year, consumers will be stretching their budget just a little bit further to splurge on things like tablets, smartphones and jewelry for the moms, grandmas, daughters and sisters in their lives.
Average spending per person is expected to rise a healthy 11% year-over-year to $168.94, according to a survey by the National Retail Federation.Approximately 14% of shoppers - the highest since the survey began in 2004 -- plan to spend $2.3 billion on electronics, up 44% from 2012. Some 34% of shoppers - the biggest percentage of shoppers -- plan to buy Mom something sparkly, for a total of $4.2 billion spent in the category, the retail association said. Big and small retailers are promoting their items with tons of sales. "After a long winter that kept many from splurging on any new spring merchandise, retailers are looking forward to opening their doors and surprising shoppers with promotions that are perfect for any gardener, host, fashionista or tech-savvy mom," NRF President and CEO Matthew Shay said. So if you're looking for the perfect gift at a great price or if you're doing a little self-gifting, here are some of our favorite deals for Mother's Day. Happy shopping!
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV