NEW YORK, May 2, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- "The day Hadiya was born my life began and the day she died I thought it was the end of mine, until I realized it was the beginning of my new life - as an activist," said Cleopatra Pendleton, mother of slain 15-year-old Chicago student Hadiya Pendleton, during an emotionally charged speech at the launch of MOTHERS ON A MISSION: AGAINST URBAN GUN VIOLENCE.
Hosted by BET Networks and The National Action Network, M.O.M.: AGAINST URBAN GUN VIOLENCE seeks to reclaim the true meaning of Mother's Day by "appealing to women throughout the world" to unite for peace.
Pendleton noted that while Hadiya was the ". . . 42 nd child killed at the hands of gun violence in 2013," there have been countless others after and the numbers continue to rise. Speaking to the importance of stricter gun laws, "I've been travelling all over to bring awareness to violence and some people say I should sit down, but I say no. It's time for you to get up!"MOTHERS ON A MISSION: AGAINST URBAN GUN VIOLENCE also shared a "5 Point Call to Action" for mothers during the month of May: 1. Find a local anti-violence program in your area and donate time and/or money. 2. Work with other mothers to petition your local community center or place of worship to stay open during extended hours to provide conflict resolution and anti-violence programming for youth especially during summer months. 3. Contact elected officials and make your voice heard about gun violence. 4. Work with local organizations like National Action Network on programs like "Occupy the Corners."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV