TULSA, Okla., May 2, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ) has announced preliminary results of the shareholder vote at its annual meeting here today. The company reported that a substantial majority of the shareholders approved the following management proposals:
- Election of each of Verizon's 13 directors standing for election to a one-year term.
- Ratification of the appointment of Ernst & Young as the company's independent registered public accounting firm.
- Approval of the compensation of the company's executive officers as described in the 2013 proxy statement.
- Approval of Verizon's amended Long-Term Incentive Plan.
Of the six shareholder proposals, five were defeated: network neutrality, lobbying activities, severance approval policy, shareholder right to call a special meeting and shareholder right to act by written consent.
Shareholders approved a resolution that asks Verizon's Board to adopt a proxy access bylaw, which would allow shareholders to nominate Board candidates under certain conditions. Verizon's Board said that it will consider the outcome of the vote in its ongoing review of the company's corporate governance practices.
Vote tallies are considered preliminary until the final results are tabulated and certified by independent election inspectors. The final results will be posted on Verizon's website at www.verizon.com .Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ), headquartered in New York, is a global leader in delivering broadband and other wireless and wireline communications services to consumer, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, with nearly 99 million retail connections nationwide. Verizon also provides converged communications, information and entertainment services over America's most advanced fiber-optic network, and delivers integrated business solutions to customers in more than 150 countries, including all of the Fortune 500. A Dow 30 company with nearly $116 billion in 2012 revenues, Verizon employs a diverse workforce of 181,900. For more information, visit www.verizon.com. VERIZON'S ONLINE NEWS CENTER: Verizon news releases, executive speeches and biographies, media contacts, high-quality video and images, and other information are available at Verizon's online News Center at newscenter.verizon.com. The news releases are available through an RSS feed. To subscribe, visit newscenter.verizon.com/corporate/feeds. SOURCE Verizon Communications Inc.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV