Barrick Gold Corporation (NYSE: ABX) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.10%. Barrick Gold Corporation engages in the production and sale of gold and copper. It is also involved in exploration and mine development activities. The average volume for Barrick Gold Corporation has been 16,133,000 shares per day over the past 30 days. Barrick Gold Corporation has a market cap of $19.7 billion and is part of the metals & mining industry. Shares are down 45.1% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. TheStreet Ratings rates Barrick Gold Corporation as a hold. Among the primary strengths of the company is its solid financial position based on a variety of debt and liquidity measures that we have evaluated. At the same time, however, we also find weaknesses including feeble growth in the company's earnings per share, disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- ABX, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 4.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 5.7%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- ABX's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.66 is somewhat low overall, but it is high when compared to the industry average, implying that the management of the debt levels should be evaluated further. Regardless of the somewhat mixed results with the debt-to-equity ratio, the company's quick ratio of 0.86 is weak.
- The change in net income from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the Metals & Mining industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income has decreased by 17.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $1,029.00 million to $847.00 million.
- BARRICK GOLD CORP's earnings per share declined by 17.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, BARRICK GOLD CORP swung to a loss, reporting -$0.66 versus $4.48 in the prior year.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, BARRICK GOLD CORP underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Barrick Gold Corporation Ratings Report.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts