Doug went long on Feb. 22, and traded it through Feb. 27, buying dips and selling rips, before closing out the position profitably. Between those dates the stock traded between $450 and $444. At the shareholder meeting on the Feb. 26, management only said that it was "seriously considering" returning cash to shareholders. Doug has stated many times that he viewed Apple as a trading sardine, not an eating (or investing) sardine, and that is the philosophy he maintains through the current period. Competitive pressures, the mix shift toward lower-margin products and the capital deployment uncertainty (until recently) supported this philosophy.
Dates of additional trades are below:
- Once again, Doug went long Apple shares March 1 through March 5 but didn't do as well. At this point, Doug had thought the stock was too cheap to pass up.
- Again based on valuation, he started building another long rental on March 11 at $425.50 and was able to successfully sell out for a 6% gain on March 18 at $451.
- On April 3 a new trade was initiated - Doug picked up some shares at $432.30 and took a small loss on the overall trade on April 9th.
- He reentered Apple on April 18 at $390.50, and added more at $387 on April 19. He then sold a tranche on April 19th at $397 and another tranche at $397.50. Doug exited this name before earnings and does not currently hold a position.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV