SPDR S&P 500 ETF
First, it's worth taking an updated look at the SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY) today. SPY is a good proxy for the broad market -- the $130 billion ETF mirrors the S&P's daily ebb and flow, giving investors a one-step way to buy stocks as a group. And lately, both the big index and this ETF have been looking extremely attractive from a technical standpoint.
It doesn't take a whole lot of technical expertise to see where the prevailing trend is in this chart: It's up. More importantly, that uptrend has stayed within a tight channel since all the way back in November. Even when the S&P tested support in mid-April, the index managed to catch a bid at that lower line and bounce higher again. In a word, this rally has been "orderly" -- and it continues to be orderly right now.In a nutshell, this is still a "buy the dips" market. By that, I mean that it's continuing to pay off to buy SPY close to trend line support. That'll change when the uptrend breaks and the 50-day moving average gets violated. Until that happens, keep buying the dips.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV