SOMERSET TOWNSHIP, Pa., May 2, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Comcast Business, a unit of Comcast Cable, the nation's largest video, high-speed Internet and phone provider to business and residential customers, today announced that PBS Coals, the fourth-largest coal producer in Pennsylvania, is using Comcast Ethernet services to expedite the transfer of critical files to maintain the accuracy of its mining operations and to help ensure the safety of its approximately 650 employees in multiple locations across Somerset County. While the new fiber connection is critical to supporting PBS Coals' business, there is an added benefit to the broader community, as the investment to extend Comcast's fiber network to the company's locations means that other area businesses will now have access to a high-capacity, fiber network as well.
Founded in 1963, PBS Coals operates 10 coal mining and processing facilities throughout Somerset County and currently produces 3.3 million metric tonnes of raw coal for the electric power industry regionally and for the steel industry internationally. Nearly all of the organization's day-to-day business activities are dependent on 3D maps, which can be up to three gigabytes in size and must be constantly updated using AUTOCAD software to reflect the most accurate information on miner locations, drilling depths, and safety hazards. As a result, each engineering team is tasked with transferring ever-changing files on a daily basis – which requires a sizable amount of bandwidth.
"Our engineering team spans two buildings, and with our previous T1 connection, transferring and editing our maps could take hours," said Joe Cabala, IT manager for PBS Coals. "We looked at multiple providers to determine who could extend their fiber network to our location and offer us the speed, scalability and bandwidth we needed, and Comcast was the only one able to meet our expectations."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV