NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Ocwen Financial (OCN) saw profits more than double to $45.1 million, or 31 cents per share in the first quarter versus $19.3 million or 14 cents per share a year ago, though a flurry of deal-making made year over year comparisons difficult.
Earnings per share were "extremely tough to model with acquisitions," wrote Michael Grondahl, an analyst with PiperJaffray. Grondahl, who has an "outperform" recommendation on the mortgage servicer, was nonetheless encouraged by the results.
"Management commentary was very strong, highlighting lower funding costs expected and excellent growth opportunities in the near term," he wrote, adding that Ocwen's roughly 24,000 mortgage modifications were the most important figure, providing "a good looking forward indicator.
"The Company's string of record quarterly revenues will continue into the second quarter as we benefit from a full quarter of ResCap revenue and our recent acquisition of Ally Bank's mortgage servicing rights," commented Bill Erbey, Ocwen's Chairman.Ocwen shares opened up 0.27% to $36.56. -- Written by Dan Freed in New York. Follow @dan_freed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV