SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif., May 2, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Hyperion Therapeutics, Inc. (Nasdaq:HPTX) today announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) yesterday notified the company that RAVICTI™ (glycerol phenylbutyrate) Liquid has qualified for orphan drug exclusivity. The orphan exclusivity is for seven years from the date of the approval on February 1, 2013.
According to Donald J. Santel, president and chief executive officer, "Orphan drug exclusivity further strengthens the protections for RAVICTI. Additionally, as we recently announced, we were issued a patent that relates to use of RAVICTI with optimal measurement timing and target levels for blood ammonia in urea cycle disorder (UCD) patients. It has a term that expires in March 2032 and is now listed in the FDA's Approved Drug Products with Therapeutic Equivalence Evaluations, known as the Orange Book."
RAVICTI Indications, Usage and Safety InformationRAVICTI is indicated for use as a nitrogen-binding agent for chronic management of adult and pediatric patients ≥ two years of age with UCD that cannot be managed by dietary protein restriction and/or amino acid supplementation alone. RAVICTI must be used with dietary protein restriction and in some cases, dietary supplements (e.g. essential amino acids, arginine, citrulline, protein-free calorie supplements). Limitations of Use:
- RAVICTI is not indicated for the treatment of acute hyperammonemia (HA) in patients with UCD because more rapidly acting interventions are essential to reduce plasma ammonia levels.
- The safety and efficacy of RAVICTI for the treatment of N-acetylglutamate synthase (NAGS) deficiency has not been established.
- Less than two months of age. Children less than two months of age may have immature pancreatic exocrine function which could impair hydrolysis of RAVICTI, leading to impaired absorption of phenylbutyrate and HA.
- With known hypersensitivity to phenylbutyrate. Signs of hypersensitivity include wheezing, shortness of breath, coughing, low blood pressure, flushing, nausea and rash.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV